A DIAGNOdent is a pen-like probe that emits a red laser light and simply glides over tooth surfaces checking the fluorescence of each tooth. A number scale and an alarm signals us when there are signs of hidden decay.
How It Works:
Altered tooth substances and bacteria fluoresce when they are exposed to a specific wavelength of light. The DIAGNOdent operates at a wavelength of 655 nm. At this specific wavelength, clean healthy tooth structure exhibits little or no fluorescence, resulting in very low scale readings on the display. However, decayed tooth structure will exhibit fluorescence, proportionate to the degree of caries, resulting in elevated scale readings on the display of the DIAGNOdent.
1. For the first time, this allows the quantification of decay activity over time with a precise and reliable measurement.
2. Because this instrument produces reproducible results, we can track suspicious areas on your teeth at each hygiene visit.
3. Early detection of decay breakdown that are undiagnosed by conventional examination methods.
4. No scratching probe, which allows for a simple, fast and painless examination.
5. No x-ray exposure is involved.
If you have any questions about the DIAGNOdent, please contact us at (979) 543-2737.